The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Friday 7 May 2010

SDP Final Fitting

Today Chris came to the studio for the final costume fitting. I was lucky enough to have Katerina assist me at the fitting. Seeing as she made his current costume she was more than happy to stand in for Graham.


Again the fitting was a success which was a relief seeing as there hadn't been a lot of tuition avaiable this week so I had to work completely independantly and use my inititive to conquer any problems I came across.

Only a couple of cms needed to be taken in on the breeches, otherwise the fit was absolutely fine and Chris felt comfortable.


The waistcoat needed to be taken in at front and back - I expected this though as I allowed extra when cutting the fabric.
Chris was happy with the length to the back of the waistcoat. To be a little more historically correct, the back must be shorter than the front, however Chris wanted it at a fuller length for when he's not wearing the frock coat.




I allowed a lot of allowance on the length of the waistcoat in order to get an official opinion from Chris. We settled for just above the knee as expected, this also works with the period of the costume.




Chris liked the look and weight of the fabric - the decoration will finish it really nicely.












The frock coat was a really lovely fit today and I'm really pleased. It has been a struggle working with so much fabric so I'm glad there are no alterations to make here.






I decided mutually with Chris again about the length and we agreed on about 3-4inches longer than the waistcoat.






The sleeve went in really nicely and Chris felt spacious in it. I'd widened the sleeves a lot to accommodate for Chris's crutches. The crutch fit inside the sleeve un-noticably and again Chris felt there was plenty of room to move comfortably with.





The Cb seam had to be taken in ever so slightly in order to be that little bit more fitted.






All the pleats sat well and fell correctly.





Over all it was a very successful fitting, a bit long winded,it took longer than it should have done but at the same time I didn't want to rush it and risk missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment