The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Sunday 9 May 2010

Week 9 Review

So I've now just returned to Bournemouth after spending the weekend at home in Cornwall. I've managed to do a little more ongoing research this week as well as cracking on with getting the costume together for the final fitting. Again the costume is still very much a blank canvas but again the fitting on Thursday was successful and everything fitted fine. The only issues I had that I'm still a bit unsure about is some of the design features. Graham was away in Istanbul this week so was absent from the fitting. Katerina stood in for Graham and seeing as she made Chris's current costume, it did put my mind at rest a little bit. What with this being the last fitting before completing the costume I was feeling quite nervous about it all. However design ideas that were discussed with Graham during the first fitting were replaced with others at the 2nd fitting and so I was and still am feeling quite confused about it all. The main issue being the breeches, I'm trying to keep them as historically accurate as possible as well as making them to how Chris wants them, but things were discussed at this fitting that hadn't come up before, such as pleating the fabric at the knees and applying a shaped waistband. I've been having to constantly tell myself that I must always meet the needs of the client and only the needs of the era in question when necessary. I'm just struggling with it a bit now, have found myself at a bit of a dead end...NEED GRAHAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment