The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Monday 8 March 2010

First Thoughts

So a few weeks ago I was asked if I could make a new 18th century costume for Chris Brown who is the town crier for Wimborne. I felt very privileged to have been asked to do this and so of course I said I would be more than happy to do it. I'm feeling very enthusiastic about it and am now ready to start the project.

Chris visited the studio last November . This was when he announced that he would like a costume student to realise his new costume. He came to the studio wearing his current costume that was made by our technician Katerina a few years ago. The costume is mid 18th century that Chris has worn to every gig/event since it was made. It is still in very good condition and has maintained its historical image after being worn in all weather conditions. Chris said that he would like to keep his current costume as a spare but would like a new one just for a change but made to a similar style. However he also asked if it would be possible to create a replica costume for his 11 year old son Edrin. I was perfectly happy to take on the challenge of creating both costumes however I have now realised that the costume really does need to have a lot of time spent on it, must meet Chris's requirements, and be made to a high standard in order for it to stand out, make a statement and be durable. Town Crier costumes are judged every year and so I would be really proud if Chris could win wearing a costume I'd created. And so this led me to decide that I'd like to focus entirely on Chris's costume and ask a coursemate to work with me and produce a replica costume for Edrin.

Kelly will now be working alongside me and making the costume for Edrin (Eddie). We will work together for the entire project; researching, drafting our patterns, meeting and discussing with Chris, assisting each other for fittings and purchasing fabrics etc.

I have spoken with Chris, and both Kelly and myself will be meeting with him on the 12th to discuss design ideas/features, take measurements for both him and Eddie, and show him some general research to get a feel for the sort of look he wants over all.

I'll be working with Kelly during this week to produce a well organised schedule and to collect a significant amount of research, ready to take to our meeting with Chris at the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment