The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Friday 12 March 2010

First Meeting With Chris Brown

Today is currently going very well and very much to plan and I'm generally feeling very positive about the project I am about to embark on.
I have just had my first initial meeting with Chris this morning to find out exactly what it is he wants for his new 18th century costume and what standards he requires from me as the maker.
I asked Chris if I could examine his previous costumes and also his current one in order to get a general idea of his design preferences.


Chris's current costume is mid 18th century but there are a couple of features from that period that are of a slight inconvenience to him such as the full front on the breeches and the short length back to the waistcoat.

Prior to the meeting I collected a small amount of 18th century research to take a long with me in order to discuss with Chris exactly what would be best preferred by him. We looked at specific features and design changes throughout the century and it became pretty clear to the both of us that the earlier part of the century was more appropriate for Chris's desired costume.


We structured a list of specific features wanted by Chris in order for me to begin drafting the patterns straight away (see below).

  • Current breeches weren't suitable for all weather conditions - they must be hard wearing and comfortable - suggested fabric - Moleskin.
  • Working pockets for both the breeches and the coat.
  • More room in breeches for comfort purposes
  • Button fastening at CF of breeches - more practical and more suited to the period
  • 3-4 pleats at side of coat
  • Pleats at back of coat to be similar/same as current costume
  • Waistcoat to have a full length back
  • Waistcoat to have button fastening at CF - current hook and eye fastening are impractical.
  • Colours of fabric should represent the Dorset colours - Red, white & gold
  • Decoration/Embellishment to be authentic and classic, highlighting the Dorset colours.

Chris's previous and current costume reflect features of 18th Century military wear. This is a feature he really likes and feels it is very appropriate for his image as Town Crier. Therefore I shall research more into this and he has also suggested I visit the Dorchester Military Museum - this is something I will find very useful and will propose a trip over the next week or so.

On reflection to today's meeting I've learnt how important it is to understand the needs and requirements of a client. I'm very excited to be directing this project but I also appreciate how important Chris and his image of Town Crier are to the Wimborne community. I feel very privileged to have been asked to do this for him and so I feel it is highly necessary for me to pace myself wisely, discuss the costume with Chris on a regular basis and research thoroughly throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment