The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Monday 22 March 2010

Week 2 Review

So this week has been yet another learning curve. Even though I've drafted similar patterns before, especially in the most recent unit, the patterns were much smaller and I had to consider that they were male patterns to fit a female. This time however I'm having to draft for a much larger individual and so I've often looked at the patterns this week and thought something isn't quite right. I've felt a lot more confident with historically adapting the patterns, practice is obviously helping me understand pattern drafting and I've become faster at producing them. Another thing this week which has taught me a lot is the fact I've had to draft my patterns alongside Kelly who is creating Eddie's costume. Her patterns are much much smaller but we've had to work together to make sure they are identical and in proportion with one another. This is something I have really enjoyed doing this week. I've had to look at identical patterns on both ends of the scale and work professionally with a course mate. We have learnt from eachother and as a result managed to draft the patterns successfully and be ahead of schedule. On Friday we were ready to trace patterns and cut out in Calico.

No comments:

Post a Comment