The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Dyeing Moleskin For Breeches

Looking at my historical research I've decided that an antique tone would be best for the colour of the breeches. Maybe an antique gold? This would work really well for the colour theme I'm working with.
The image below isn't quite the right colour for what I aspire to achieve but it's a really good reference for me to have as it gives me a good idea of how the finished pair will look.


This is the moleskin I dyed today using the following recipe

  • 5 litres water
  • 1 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/2 tsp Golden glow
  • 1/4 tsp Reindeer beige


There was 3 1/2 metres of moleskin to dye and the dried result was quite patchy and the colour is still a little too pale. What I will do now is make sure the fabric doesn't shrink, then cut my pattern pieces and re-dye them. I'll also add another 1/4 tsp of golden glow to get a more golden tone and will leave them in the dye for at least another 10 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment