The Wimborne Town Crier - Self Directed Project

A very warm hello to my friends, followers and blog observers...This blog is to record, showcase, and share my work and learning processes throughout my 'Self Directed Project'. For this project I have been asked by Chris Brown the Wimborne Town Crier if I can realise an 18th Century design which will become his new crying costume as of June 2010. I will be sharing all my triumphs and challenges a long the way and self reflecting/evaluating as I go. Please view my attached learning agreement for more information on the project and what it is I aspire to achieve.

Friday 30 April 2010

Road Trip to Hansons and Fabric Warehouse

Today Kelly and I ventured to Hanson's Fabrics in Sturminster Newton. I've shopped there many times before and have always been impressed with their selection of buttons. I spoke to Chris prior to the trip and he gave me free reign on the detail to the costume. Kelly and me re-visited our historical research but also considered detail from a military perspective. We searched the store for something plain and bold yet striking to the eye and we found the perfect buttons. The buttons came in different sizes as well so I got the largest size so that the two costumes will stay in proportion with one another. I then thought a slightly more detailed button would be nice for the waistcoat seeing as it won't have as much embroidery work as the coat and again we found a nice authentic button available in different sizes.

On the way back to Bournemouth we stopped off at Fabric Warehouse in Poole to collect the top fabric for the waistcoats. I'd already collected a sample and studied it with Kelly and we mutually decided that it was an ideal fabric for the waistcoat. Chris's current waistcoat has a large pattern on it and we decided with Chris that we would have to work with a plainer fabric with a small or even no pattern so that Eddie won't get lost in it.
Now we have all of our top fabric and have detail to add the project is getting even more exciting and Chris is eager to see the costume as a finished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment